Thursday, March 7, 2013

I Am What I Am by John Wright


            So many people have had much to say about grace, what it is, what it does and so on.  I don’t have anything new to add and I sure can’t say it better than what has been said in God’s word.  The great thing about the truths in the Bible is that they are always relevant, and the Bible can shine light into ones heart whenever one is ready to receive its truth.  The Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 15 reminds his readers that it is the gospel, the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus that has the power to save sinners.  Paul in verse 10 gets very personal, “I do not even deserve to be called an Apostle because I persecuted the Church of God.  But By the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect.”

            I am what I am!  What does that mean to you?  If you have been washed in the blood as Paul was, and like I was, then it has to strike you to the core of your being.  I am what I am by God’s grace and only God’s grace.  It does not matter what I was, because I am in Jesus.  You see we are all the same; Paul’s experience with grace is the same as ours.  We do not deserve it, and how can we possibly live up to it?  God made a way for us because of his infinite goodness and mercy.  Through our faith and obedience in his Son Jesus we have been reconciled!  “Reconcile” means “to make friends again.”  Jesus said in Jn. 15: “You are my friends if you do what I command.  I no longer call you servants because a servant does not know his masters business; instead I have called you friends."

            God’s Friend!  It is what God’s grace has done in me.  What a blessing it is to be included in God’s family.  How has this grace affected you?  God’s presence in our lives has to affect us in powerful ways that should be transforming our lives into the image of our Lord.  Jesus paid a dear price for this grace that God freely bestows on us.  We must take care as to how we live our lives, and out of love and reverence for our friend and God proclaim that “this GRACE was not without effect.”

No comments:

Post a Comment